Friday, September 26, 2008

FOR COLORED GIRLS....

so i am not a huge fan of gospel music all the time, but this one struck a chord. I was at my cousins dance show at her Christian dance academy and they danced to this song called "More than a Conqueror". So I swooped up one of the little girls afterwards like the stalker I am and asked who sang it. His name is Mali Music and hes from GA. Maybe I am late and people have heard of it but this song does it for me. Please visit the myspace page and hear for yourself. I think it is number 4 on the playlist. I think what really got me was this 4 year old that was moving to it. it was DEEP. I had goosebumps!! it also reminded me how talented and gifted black women are, even the little ones! Speaking of gifted black women...



For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf by Ntozake Shange is BRILLIANT. If you have not read it, your womanhood is not complete. It was supposed to be at Broadway's Circle in the Square Theatre in New York City this fall but it has been postponed to Spring 2009, so watch out for it!! Now a little background...

This woman is powerful. She was born Paulette Williams and changed her name. Ntozake" means "She who comes with her own things" and "Shange" means "she who walks with lions" in Xhosa. (That is a tribe in South Africa, yes the one with clicks, those are my people.) Anyhoo, that't tight as hell. I would like to change my name too....


So the play is a "choreopoem" about seven different women: orange (that was me when i was in the play!!!), purple,yellow,green,red, brown, and blue. Through music, and vivid depictions of real life situations that all women of color have to face, she hits you over the head with genius poetry and timeless stories (it was written in 1975). The women discuss losing virginity, abusive men, dancing, singing, praising and the list goes on. Please read it. stimulate your mind. "and i loved her fiercely...."

No comments: